1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. white granulated sugar
1 c. peanut butter (I prefer creamy, but crunchy will work fine, too)
6 c. dry, unsweetened cereal – Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Corn Flakes
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Measure cereal into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. Measure corn syrup into a 2-cup measuring cup (one that is microwavable – like Pyrex).
3. Add white sugar to the corn syrup and mix well.
4. Microwave on High for 2 1/2 minutes.
5. Remove mixture from the microwave. CAUTION: It will be HOT.
6. Add peanut butter to the sugar mixture and mix well.
7. Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal.
8. Mix, mix, mix. Mix until all the cereal is coated.
a. Pour cereal mixture into a 9 x 13 inch pan and press with your hands until uniform thickness (like rice crispy bars).
b. Use a melon baller or ice cream scoop to form small mounds of mixture. Drop onto parchment paper. [I do this one.]
c. Use your hands to form into balls, mounds, or shapes of your choice.
10. Melt chocolate chips in microwave for 1 minute. Stir. IF NEEDED: Microwave for additional time to fully melt the chips – 15 seconds at a time. Stir after every time.
11. Add the chocolate to the scotcharoos – (a) pour over prepared pan of cereal mixture; (b & c) dip or drizzle over prepared shapes.
12. Let cool/set. (If you can wait.)